Re: Debian etch - Rebuilding a package from source.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:45:26 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> What I have done so far is pretty much what is describe in the above:
>
>     . apt-get source ..
>     . build-dep ..
>     . debuild ..
>     . dpkg -i ..

That's just how to do it, yes. :)

> The process appears to work - as tested on gnu/screen - when I'm just
> recreating the same deb that I would install via apt-get.
>
> One problem, though, is that since the build is pretty much automated,
> I'm not sure how I could add --xxx configure options that override the
> defaults. In particular after reading the man page I wasn't able to find
> an option that would let me achieve this.
>
> Hopefully, I don't have to go edit the configure.in file?

Check out the debian/rules file. That is the file that controls the build
process.

> Another concern is what kind of naming standard I should/could adopt for
> my custom .debs so that they integrate smoothly with the apt packaging
> system. In other words.. in a way that will be easy to manage over time
> and not interfere with possible future apt-get actions, such as upgrades
> to a new release etc

I wouldn't try to rename the packages, but instead give them custom
version numbers. The version number can be changed by editng debian/
changelog; there is a very convenient tool called 'debchange' in the
'devscripts' package that will allow you to do things like:

 $ debchange --local blah

Which will automatically add a new entry to the changelog, and invoke
your $EDITOR on it so that you can describe your changes in detail. The --
local option tells debchange to make this kind of change:

 1.2-3 -> 1.2.3blah1

This version number will be greater than the version in Debian (so that
apt won't automatically replace your custom package with the official one
next time you perform an upgrade), but less than what the next version in
Debian _will_ be (so that apt will upgrade the package once a newer
version is available in Debian). If you also put the packages 'on hold'
then you can see that it's time to update your custom package by seeing
the 'packages held back' during an upgrade.