Re: How to handle source code dependencies?

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:35:50 +0200, George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net>
wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what a flat API means and whether you mean objects as
> instances and classes as types here, but if that could not be explored in
> the
> sense of separate compilation and further dynamic linkage, then it is not
> that
> helpful.
object == instance
class == type
Flat API means that you don't have classes to use but a set of "flat"
functions which receive just pointers to an object.
(like you have the class "Foo" which has the function "do_something". The
lib will contain a "gpointer new_foo()" function and a
"foo_do_something(gpointer obj)" function to work with the object. Normally
you would access the object directly in your programming language, here you
work with a pointer)
But this is not really the subject of this entry... The problem is that a
lot of Pascal developers include 3rd-party components directly into their
source code. It is not common to move all functions into a separate
library.

> ... which does not mean it is a very good idea to do so. I don't know
what
> suggest, but chances are you spend your time with that approach, and then
> you
> realize that no sponsor would upload it the way it is. Not any
> DFSG-compliant
> software worth packaging, in my opinion.
You're right with this... I created a package for GLScene (just a trial).
The GLScene developers say the project is licensed under MPL, but I find
parts of GPL and LGPL in the software too. Also there is no list of
upstream authors.
The worst thing is that GLScene needs a lot of manual work to integrate it
into the IDE. I worked with Debconf for this, but the last problems are not
worth the effort.
So I contacted upstream about this. Maybe the affected code will be
included directly into the source tarball. This would solve all GLScene
problems. If this is not possible I better wait some months until the
GLScene devs improved the IDE integration.
Thank you for your help!
  Matthias