Re: RFC: mawk (not maintainer, updated package)

Le Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:04:17AM -0600, Jonathan Nieder a écrit :

> I am looking for some advice concerning the new version
> 1.3.3-20090920-0.1 of the package "mawk".

> My motivation was that the Linux kernel source started requiring an
> awk that can understand [[:lower:]].  I imagine others will start
> running into the same thing sooner or later: mawk 1.3.3 does not
> support POSIX regular expressions very well, making it a poor default
> awk.  The updated version is far better in that respect.

Dear Jonathan,

I think that for packages of priority higher than optional, it is much safer to
discuss their situation on -devel and decide what action to take there instead
of proposing an NMU on -mentors. These packages are installed on most Debian
systems, so uncoordinated uploads can be very disruptive.

In the case of the problem you mentionned above, maybe it can be solved by
using another awk alternative?

Anyway, thank you for the care you have for core packages. Please do not
be shy, and discuss them on a core mailign list :)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan