Re: RFS: mbuffer (new package)

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 03:32:52AM +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> my clarification follows.
>
> fredag den 11 december 2009 klockan 02:13 skrev Hector Oron detta:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 2009/12/11 Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se>:
> > > out of curiosity: Does mbuffer now prefer libmhash over libssl?
> > > That has been troublesome in the past.
> >

> The documentation of the upstream author states that he prefers
> libmhash over libssl. At about the same time as Peter Pentchev
> made his first packaging of mbuffer this past summer, I found a
> mistake in the upstreams configure.in template, which made libssl
> the first choice, then libgnutls, and lastly libmhash, in case
> more than one library would be present.
>
> I did submit a patch to the upstream author Thomas Komor on this,
> which he acknowledged. It seemed to me to be a better choice in
> building a package for Debian by using the small library libmhash,
> rather than to invoke libgnutls. The Debian Policy rules against
> libssl in this situation because of mixed licences. But then again,
> Peter Pentchev has invested time in his adaption for libgnutls,
> which certainly is a factor here.

I'll switch to libmhash in the next version of the Debian package of
mbuffer, which should be coming up in a week or so.  I've been in
private e-mail communication with Thomas Komor about the two patches
marked as "Forwarded: yes" (the non-Debian-specific ones), and he
said, among other things, that he will release a new upstream version
soon, maybe over the weekend.  Thus, a new Debian upload should be
coming up shortly, too.

In the meantime, Laszlo Boeszoermenyi (gcs@debian.org) uploaded
this version yesterday, and it has just been accepted by
the FTP masters.  Thanks a lot to Hector and Mats (or is it Mats Erik?)
for the review, the cross-compile reminder (I had it in mind for
a future upload, too) and the libmhash idea!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@space.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
Key fingerprint	2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13