Re: Updated packages: alien-arena, alien-arena-server, alien-arena-data (request for mentor)

maxxedout@comcast.net writes:

> The Alien Arena packages have gone un-updated for quite some time now,
> and appear un-maintained. See these most-recent commits:

> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-games/packages/trunk/?rev=10361&sc=1
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-games/packages/trunk/?rev=10363&sc=1

> Alien Arena's development moves pretty fast, and the version currently
> in the repositories (v. 7.0) no longer accurately represents the
> game. Furthermore, I am fairly active in the game community and I am in
> a position to take some of the patches currently in the Debian package,
> and push them upstream. Finally, I have done some work on the game
> engine myself, and I should be qualified to fix most bugs in the game
> and push those fixes upstream.

> I am also willing to maintain these packages. 7.33 is coming out in a
> few weeks and when it does, I will make packaging it a top priority.

> I have packaged version 7.32 and the packages are available on this page:
> http://meliaserlow.dyndns.tv:8000/pkg/
> (It's hosted on my home server, so don't hammer it too hard. ;) )

> If anyone could help me get these into the repositories that would be
> really great and it would be grateful.

It seems like the best first step would be for you to offer to join the
pkg-games team for the purposes of maintaining those packages, thus
potentially providing you with direct commit access to their repository
and letting you take over the existing packaging.