Re: How to do a survey on lbzip2 as a bzip2 alternative?

> Hi,

Hi,

> I'd like to ask users for their opinions about lbzip2 as a bzip2
> alternative in Debian, by requesting them to choose exactly one of the
> following options, after reading my DebADay article [0]:
>

> 1. I'd like to use lbzip2 as a bzip2 alternative.
>
> 2. I'd like to use lbzip2 as a bzip2 alternative only in combination with
> tar.
>
> 3. I don't want to use lbzip2 as a bzip2 alternative in any way.
>
> 4. I don't know / I don't care.
>

> What's the best way to do this? I've read MJ Ray's advice [1], but I have
> problems with the following points:
>
> 3 / "test the survey yourself before involving any other people": how?
>
> 4 / "pilot": how?
>
> 5 / "Carry out the main survey": how?
>

> Thank you very much,
> lacos
>

> [0] http://debaday.debian.net/2009/11/12/lbzip2-parallel-bzip2-utility/
> [1] http://people.debian.org/~mjr/surveys.html#advice

Not that I can help with the surveys, but you may want to compare your
compressor to the practical tests and comparisons found at [1], and eventually
update your debaday article with the results.

[1] (URLs might be wrapped)
http://changelog.complete.org/archives/910-how-to-think-about-compression
http://changelog.complete.org/archives/931-how-to-think-about-compression-
part-2

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>