DM-Upload-Allowed considered confusing (was: RFS: youtube-dl (updated package, support for 1080p videos))

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> During the creation of DM, the idea was that the field was supposed to
> be set by sponsors only and only after enough uploads to convince the
> sponsor that the maintainer is capable of properly maintaining the
> package.

Having it well-documented as a field in the control file just makes it
more likely that a well-meaning package maintainer will set it, hoping
to do the right thing. (I speak as someone who has done exactly that,
and I know I'm far from alone in that.)

> I'd personally like to see the DMUA field removed from source packages
> and moved to a mail bot or similar.

Agreed. How can this change be made to happen?

--
 \                   己所不欲、勿施于人。 (What is undesirable to you, |
  `\                                             do not do to others.) |