Re: Man and UTF-8.

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> You would have needed to take it up with Joseph Ossanna and Brian
> Kernighan, since *roff has worked this way since the beginning of the
> formatting language.

Note that “blame the makers of groff” is *not* what I'm saying; they
make their decisions in the context of their times, and I'm fine with
that.

> At the time, this was reasonably standard practice.

Right. But now it's horrible legacy behaviour. I don't see any reason to
avoid acknowledging that with apologetics like “don't blame groff”. I
do blame groff.

Finding fault with groff gives a chance that the situation may some day
be improved. Without knowing where the fault lies, it's that much more
difficult to fix it.

--
 \         “Nature hath given men one tongue but two ears, that we may |
  `\          hear from others twice as much as we speak.” —Epictetus, |