A libtool and automake question (for developing fuppes)

Recently I tried to build fuppes UPnP Media Server
(http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/) but I came across the following
error:

bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libogg.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libogg.la' is not a valid libtool archive

The problem seems to be that Debian is removing the .la files from
most of their packages
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/08/msg00783.html) and as a
result I get the following:

# dpkg -L libogg-dev | grep "a$"
/usr/lib/libogg.a
#

So now I don't have a libogg.la file anymore. I have read around and
all I know is that you are not supposed to need to .la files to use
libtool and compile your package. I read the libtool-automake docs but
I still cannot see what I am supposed to do; they seem to suggest that
you need all of the .la files present. So my question is, how am I
supposed to compile fuppes so that it does not require .la files from
packages like libogg-dev?

N.B. I am asking this here because this is the first open source
project that I have decided to work on and I hope to re-raise fuppes,
from the rut it seems to have fallen into, to a package that somebody
might even want to sponsor. Thankyou for any time and help. If this is
not the right place for me to ask this kind of question, please point
me in the right direction and I'd be more than happy.