Re: RFS: ampache (updated package)

Hi Manoj,

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20 2009, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>
>> Hi Manoj,
>>
>> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>>         I find that experimental and pedantic add far too much
>>>  irrelevant chatter, and that it tends to mask the problems one should
>>>  actually fix.
>>>

>> Could you please elaborate a bit more? I'd like to know how I can improve
>> lintian so that it is more useful for others.
>
> ,----[  Manual page lintian(1)  ]
> |  --pedantic
> |         Display pedantic ("P:") tags as well.  They are normally
> |         suppressed.
> |
> |         Pedantic tags are Lintian at its most pickiest and include
> |         checks for particular Debian packaging styles, checks that are
> |         very frequently wrong, and checks that many people disagree
> |         with.  Expect false positives and Lintian tags that you don't
> |         consider useful if you use this option.  Adding overrides for
> |         pedantic tags is probably not worth the effort.
> `----
>
>         Pretty much covers it, neh?
>
>         Also:
>
> ,----[ http://lintian.debian.org/manual/ch2.html#s2.3 ]
> | Experimental:
> |   This means that the code that generates this message is not as well
> |   tested as the rest of Lintian, and might still give surprising
> |   results. Feel free to ignore Experimental messages that do not seem to
> |   make sense, though of course bug reports are always welcomed.
> `----

Well, experimental checks are not to be considered "irrelevant chatter",
hence my question.

The current experimental checks are:
Tag: spelling-error-in-binary
Severity: normal
Certainty: wild-guess

It is based on the output of strings(1) so it can't tell for sure whether a
string is actually displayed or it is just a symbol or something else, or
whether it is really an error or not (although it is pretty accurate in
most cases).

--

Tag: template-uses-unsplit-choices
Severity: normal

Erm, IIRC this one should no longer be marked as experimental ever since
lenny was released.

--

Tag: embedded-pear-module
Severity: normal

PEAR modules are a bit tricky to detect properly without making it too
specific, in which case the check itself wouldn't be of much use.

--
Tag: shlib-calls-exit
Severity: wishlist

There's no way for lintian to tell whether the usage of exit or _exit is
correct at all in the shared library, and it is based only by looking at
the symbols.

>         Now, people experienced in packaging stuff for Debian ought to
>  be looking at pedantic and experimental tags and giving feedback to
>  Lintian, to improve it (I certainly do). But I only look at
>  experimental and pedantic tags when I want to see f I want to give
>  feedback to Lintian, not as a package check. As a package check it is
>  very inefficient, and definitely not what I would recommend to a
>  novice.

I would personally recommend checking pedantic tags here in mentors, it is a
great way to introduce people to best practises. If anyone refuses to make
the change suggested by lintian elaborating a bit more why could be a good
exercise as well.

As a reference, the current pedantic checks are:
 no-upstream-changelog
 experimental-to-unstable-without-comment
 debian-control-has-unusual-field-spacing
 copyright-refers-to-symlink-license
 source-contains-cvs-control-dir
 source-contains-svn-control-dir
 source-contains-bzr-control-dir
 source-contains-arch-control-dir
 source-contains-git-control-dir
 source-contains-hg-control-dir
 source-contains-bts-control-dir
 source-contains-svn-commit-file
 source-contains-svk-commit-file
 source-contains-arch-inventory-file
 source-contains-hg-tags-file
 source-contains-cvs-conflict-copy
 source-contains-svn-conflict-file
 source-contains-prebuilt-binary
 source-contains-prebuilt-windows-binary
 no-homepage-field
 direct-changes-in-diff-but-no-patch-system
 example-unusual-interpreter
 example-interpreter-in-usr-local
 example-shell-script-fails-syntax-check
 maintainer-script-without-set-e