Re: RFS: ampache (updated package)

On Tue, Oct 20 2009, George Danchev wrote:

>> > Personally, I use this as it catches more things and gives more detail:
>> >
>> > lintian --info --display-info --display-experimental --pedantic
>> > --show-overrides --checksums --color
>>
>>         I find that experimental and pedantic add far too much
>>  irrelevant chatter, and that it tends to mask the problems one should
>>  actually fix.
>
> 	Then split'em up and use on demand. For instance, use one shell
> alias for 'must fix these', when done use another one for 'pedantic'
> mode, if you like to, which should be enough to demask lintian
> reports.
>
> 	I think that experimenting with experimental/pedantic and
> eventually report results to BTS could help lintian developers to
> evaluate some information in advance about future infiltration and
> impact of these experimental checks, how useful, robust, or eventually
> boring they are, so they tweak the development heading according to
> the 'wind conditions'.

        If you want to help improve lintian, sure. If you have the
 experience and the patience, that is great. But suggesting it to a
 bunch of novices trying to learn how to create packages might notbe the
 best advice -- the experimental stuff is not something that is
 necessarily things that ought to be fixed in the first place, and the
 -I stuff is debatable.  If you are learning how to package stuff,
 concentrate on things you _do_ need to fix.  Move on to helping fix
 lintian once you are comfortable with packaging, and have developed
 some judgment about where lintian ought to be heading.

        manoj
--
The more control, the more that requires control.