Re: presumable last policy change before releasing Squeeze?

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Bernhard R. Link wrote:

3) you patch that Makefile to no longer set CC CFLAGS LDFLAGS and LIBS

What I am saying is that this patch is unnecessary. you can do that
totally in debian/rules by placing those variables in the make
invocation within your build-stamp target.

You're right, of course; macro definitions passed on the command line take precedence. I was very tired and didn't get your point, sorry.

The makefile patch is for other reasons necessary, but I can make it shorter by removing this part.

= and := are exactly the same, except that := is evaluated once and then
stored, whereas = is evaluated later. If I were you I would be more
worried that all the parsing and reparsing (which causes the need for
the extra $) has some side effects.

Okay, since you insist, I'll try to switch to :=.

Cheers,
lacos