Re: presumable last policy change before releasing Squeeze?

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:55 PM, ERSEK Laszlo <lacos@caesar.elte.hu> wrote:

> what's the earliest event or point in time after which event/point but
> before Squeeze shipping as stable the policy won't be changed anymore but I
> as a sponsored maintainer will still be able to upload (ask my sponsor Paul
> Wise to upload) my lbzip2 package? I'd like to update the package to the
> (then) current policy version at that point.

Since the freeze date for squeeze hasn't yet been set, there is no way
of knowing which version of policy will be current for squeeze.
Usually the release team uses a mass freeze exception to allow
anything uploaded to unstable before the freeze into testing
regardless of the usual 10 days of waiting before testing migration.
So as long as it is uploaded before the freeze date you should be
fine.

Most Standards-Version updates are of the form "Bump
Standards-Version, no changes needed" and such updates should not be
done unless they accompany some other update like fixing bugs or
adding a new upstream version.

Anyway, here are some ideas about what you could do to improve lbzip2:

Write an article for debaday.debian.net about lbzip2 to promote it and
get more users/testers.

Have the package description and manual page reviewed by the Smith
Review Project:

http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/SmithReviewProject

Take a look at the FreeBSD port and see if the Makefile patch is
appropriate to include upstream or if not, contact the port maintainer
about it.

Document in the manual page or README the TAR_OPTIONS environment
variable and how to make tar use lbzip2 by default.

Talk to the upstream tar maintainers about ways to make tar detect if
lbzip2 is available and use it instead of bzip2.

Work on the bugs mentioned in the manual page if appropriate.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise