Re: RFS: trend

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:00:04 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@users.sf.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "trend".
>
> A review of the source, binary packages and upstream code:
<...>

I've updated the package, which is available here:

  http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/trend/trend_1.1-1.dsc

Changes as follows:

> Lots of unnessecary whitespace and comments in debian/rules.

Cleaned up.

> debian/rules doesn't handle DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt or
> DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=N (see debian-policy).

Fixed.

I've also overridden CXXFLAGS, first to enforce that -Wall is always
present, and to push optimization levels to -O3 (the extra optimization
performed at -O3 do not affect trend behavior).

> debian/examples can be reduced to one line: examples/*

Fixed.

> The upstream code is LGPLv2+ but the Debian packaging is GPLv3 only,
> was that intentional? Generally it is recommended to keep the same
> license as upstream for the Debian packaging.

Switched packaging license to match upstream.

> The AUTHORS file doesn't add anything over debian/copyright and
> README, I suggest not installing it into the .deb.

Fixed.

> IIRC debian policy recommends compiling with -Wall, but trend is not
> compiled that way.

As above.

> When I add -Wall and -Wextra I get these warnings from gcc (not sure
> why trend.cc warnings are produced for color.cc):

Released new upstream (1.1) which fixes all the warnings except for
"unused parameter ..." which is only at -Wextra, and harms code
readability.

> Complaints from lintian --info --display-info --display-experimental
> --pedantic --show-overrides --checksums --color auto:
>
> P: trend: no-upstream-changelog

I'm now using dh_installchangelogs to install NEWS as the upstream
changelog.

> I: trend: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/trend.1.gz:74

Fixed upstream with 1.1.

> You might want to consider using the new debhelper 7 features since
> you depend on that version (unfortunately the video for Joey Hess'
> DebConf9 talk isn't yet available):

Now using debhelper 7, with 2 overrides:

- the default dh_auto_clean would call distclean, which would remove
  precious files (they are regenerated only if you have git). Fixed by
  calling clean manually.

- dh_installchangelogs as above.

I've added Vcs-Git in the control fields, since it is available.

> It is fun to do cat /dev/urandom | trend, you might want to include
> that in the examples in the manual page.

Didn't implement this though :)