Re: RFS: trend

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:00:04 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> debian/examples can be reduced to one line: examples/*

Neat.

> The upstream code is LGPLv2+ but the Debian packaging is GPLv3 only,
> was that intentional? Generally it is recommended to keep the same
> license as upstream for the Debian packaging.

That was the default output of dh_make, and I was fine with GPLv3 for
the packaging itself. I will switch it LGPLv2+.

> IIRC debian policy recommends compiling with -Wall, but trend is not
> compiled that way.

Should I add these flags manually in debian/rules?

> When I add -Wall and -Wextra I get these warnings from gcc (not sure
> why trend.cc warnings are produced for color.cc):
<...>

Ah, sorry. I manually filtered those on my box and never used
-Wall in debian/rules.

The 'uninitialized' warnings, though, are bogus warnings in this case.
Initializing them to any value would be just as bad, that's why I left
them.

> P: trend: no-upstream-changelog

There is a NEWS file which summarizes all changes between releases.
I kept a full-length ChangeLog (generated from the SCM) in the past,
but that's noise from an user point of view.

> You might want to consider using the new debhelper 7 features since
> you depend on that version (unfortunately the video for Joey Hess'
> DebConf9 talk isn't yet available):

I will implement all your suggestions. Should I generate and upload a
new package into mentors with the same release number?

> It is fun to do cat /dev/urandom | trend, you might want to include
> that in the examples in the manual page.

Try this:

vmstat 1 | sed -u -e 1,2d | trend -F -c16a "-L$(vmstat 1 | head -2 |
tail -1 | sed -e 's/\([^ ]\)  */\1,/g')" - 60x2