Re: RFS: lives

On 27 Jul 2009, at 07:37, Gürkan Sengün <gurkan@phys.ethz.ch> wrote:

Hello Harry

I am looking for a sponsor for the package "lives" which I updated and removed lintian warnings and errors. This is not a non-maintainer upload as the upstream author Gabriel Finch <salsaman@xs4all.nl> has agreed to list me as an 'uploader' in debian/control. The original maintainer was
Gürkan Sengün <gurkan@phys.ethz.ch>.

here's my current work:
http://sid.ethz.ch/debian/lives/nyu/

That's what I based the packages on (you're still listed ad the maintainer, I just made it lintian clean and upgraded the upstream version).

I think the original maintainer Gürkan Sengün <gurkan@phys.ethz.ch > is a
Debian Developer as although I can't find him using db.debian.org, a
random one of his packages I chose ttf-jura has been uploaded to the
repository, but I can't find an RFS for it, only an ITP. Gürkan, i f you
want to upload lives that's great, but if not don't worry.

i'm sorry i'm not a debian developer, but nyu is interested sponsoring the
package (i've cc'd him): Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org>.

Okay, thanks

The package requires libweed0, which is available from
debian-multimedia.org
(http://www.debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/l/lives/). However, only
binary packages exist. Does this need to be uploaded before lives can (a
source package would have to be made)?

yes you should package libweed first into debian, otherwise lives can not go into main. only packages that work independently inside main, can be main.

Okay. I've pretty mich finished packaging libweed, but I won't be able to upload it to m.d.o until later today or (more likely) tomorrow.

Also, would a postinst script that downloaded and installed libweed0 be
acceptable? If not, is it unacceptable to add an override to suppress
lintian warning about symlinks to shared libraries in the main packages?

no you can't do that for main packages.

thanks for your work,
guerkan
<snip>