Re: RFS: guisterax

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:44:22 +0800
Guillaume Chereau <charlie137@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Jonathan
> Wiltshire<debian@jwiltshire.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:56:13AM +0800, Guillaume Chereau wrote:
> >> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/guisterax/guisterax_1.0.2.dsc
> >
> > I am not a DD and can't upload for you, but there is some work to do
> > before this package is ready for sponsorship. [...]
>
> Thanks, I fixed most of the mentioned problems. I kept the standard
> version 3.8.0 though, since this is the version of my debian package
> tools.

That's wrong - your packaging tools and build environment need to be
Debian unstable and therefore your Standards-Version needs to be 3.8.2
(the current latest). lintian will warn that your standards version is
out of date if you update the debian/changelog after the release of
3.8.1 or later and lintian is correct on that. Do not corrupt things by
mangling debian/changelog to not update the datestamp - use 'dch -a' or
'dch -r' every time you amend debian/changelog and 'dch -i' every time
you start a new version.

Build all packages for mentors in Debian unstable *only* and keep that
environment up to date. Use a chroot if you must (you should be using
something like pbuilder anyway and it is vital that if you are not
running unstable that you first test and then upload the version of the
package built in the unstable chroot). Packages not built against
unstable are a complete waste of time for sponsoring, generally. It is
rare that a sponsor needs to consider things like
testing-proposed-updates outside of a release freeze and RC bug fixes.

It's not just the standards-version, your generated dependency versions
will all be wrong unless you build in unstable *AND* keep unstable
regularly updated (at least daily). A sponsor cannot check your
package properly if you're building (and testing) against the versions
in testing and the actual build needs to be against versions in
unstable.

(I won't be considering sponsoring this package for this and a few
other reasons.)

--

Neil Williams