Re: RFS: kio-ftps (updated package)

On torsdagen den 16 april 2009, Paul Wise wrote:
> 2009/4/16 Laurent Léonard <laurent@open-minds.org>:
> > So ".dfsg" is a bad suffix ? And "+dfsg" should be used in priority ? If
> > 1.2+dfsg/1.2-dfsg/1.2dfsg sort before 1.2.1 why are there different
> > suffixes ? I don't find clear informations about that on the Debian
> > policy...
>
> Yes (but not very), yes (or the others), the versions are chosen by
> people and people don't think alike. I think I prefer the plus variant
> but I'm not fully sure why. Perhaps the -dfsg-1 might get confused
> with a Debian version somewhere and perhaps the plus makes it more
> clear that the version is modified.

The hyphen, just like the hyphen that separates the Debian revision from the
upstream version, nicely indicates that "dfsg" is not part of the
upstream-designated version number, although it's technically part of
the "upstream version". The drawback is that "-" is, somewhat counter-
intuitively, greater than "+".

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@debian.org
Debian Developer