Re: Libary Packing

On 2009-05-28 14:06 +0200, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 01:59:35PM +0200, yonah@gmx.net wrote:
>> Can somebody point me to a step by step documentation for libraries. I can
>> only find doc for normal binary packaging. Is it possible to build lib and
>> program with one command (build)?
>
> The Debian Library Packaging Guide is best:
> http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html

I cannot claim to have much expertise in library packaging, but would
like to warn that this document gives bad advice regarding the name of
-dev packages.  See http://bugs.debian.org/493951.

In general, -dev packages should not include the soname of the library
because that makes transitions much more complicated.

Sven