Re: ITR: febootstrap

Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <appaji@debian.org> writes:

> I read that part of policy (only likely to be useful if you already
> know what they are) as "there is an optional package that has been
> built out of the same source package, but this one is built for
> special needs of that package".  My understanding was that this was
> largely for packages that conflict with those in >= optional.
>
> OK, I looked at debootstrap and cdebootstrap, while the former is
> extra the latter is optional.
>
> As a maintainer of policy, what do you think?

I use extra for anything that I consider to be for special use, obscure,
or otherwise probably not worth listing with all the other packages in
its section for the casual browser looking for interesting packages.
So, for instance, funky old Kerberos v4 compatibility packages I
consider extra, or a new but currently mostly unused SASL
implementation, or Shishi (an interesting Kerberos implementation, but
99% of users will want either MIT or Heimdal instead).