Re: First steps

On 27/05/2009 10:13, Federico Gimenez Nieto wrote:
Pretty much anywhere is a good starting point, as long as (a) it's free,
and (b) the source doesn't require a lot patching to work or manipulation
to install. I haven't looked at openx myself, but as long as it doesn't
require you to manually install random files, etc. it's probably fine.
With that being said, the new-maint guide does recommend shying away from
daemons and packages with multiple binaries for a first package. As a web
advertising system, openx might fit into that category, meaning you might
want to start with something simpler. Then again, challenges are fun.

I would try to learn from other web applications already packaged, could
you please point me a good example? (openx relies on a web server with a
php interpreter and mysql/postgresql as databse server)

Also, are there any best-practices document for packaging web applications?

Thanks a lot,
Federico

I'm also interested in precisions about packaging web apps.
You should read [1], though it's a bit outdated.
Also look apt-get source some already packaged webapps is very
useful to learn ! Just look at the packages that depends on dbconfig-common.

the dbconfig-common package is useful for configuring mysql/pgsql/sqlite
databases using debconf.
The wwwconfig-common package could also be useful... though it
doesn't support other web servers than apache. In my opinion, wwwconfig-common
should offer possibility to configure any web server, (lighttpd, ngnx, cherokee...)
based on common use cases. The current state is either :
- depend on apache only
- cook some debconf stuff yourself to enable adequate config of some web servers
- depend on httpd and provide good documentation of what's left to configure manually.

[1]
http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft/html/

Jérémy Lal