Re: ITR: scrotwm - dynamic tiling window manager

On Wed, 20 May 2009 09:03:05 +0530
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <appaji@debian.org> wrote:

> > By the way, how am i supposed to upload a fixed version of the package to
> > mentors.debian.net without adding a spurious changelog entry?
>
> It is not necessary that you add a new dch entry.  Just upload a new version
> of the package and mentors.d.n will replace the package it has with the new
> version.

Right. I had to use `dput -f' to make it upload the same revision twice.

> > > - Any reason why you call ./debian/rules unpatch and not just depend on the
> > >   unpatch target?
> >
> > So that calling `make clean' executes the clean target of the patched
> > Makefile.
> >
> > It isn't really needed at the moment, but were I to further patch the
> > Makefile, I wouldn't need to modify the rules file. Moreover, since the
> > build system is patched right before building, it seems correct to remove
> > the patches right after clean.
>
> That is right.  And many packages would want to do just this (use the patched
> Makefile to clean) and they tend to do this with the clean target depending on
> two targets, clean-patched and unpatch.
>
> I am certain that there are many situations where 'calling' debian/rules
> recursively is not a good idea, but the scrotwm build system is rather simple
> and not one of those.  Re-reading debian/rules isn't a lot of overhead either
> so it is OK even if you leave this as is.

Actually, I like the approach you described better, so I switched to it ;)

> > > - It might be a good idea to use a examples file rather than listing all the
> > >   files installed as examples (you have more than one or two example files).
> >
> > I tried creating an examples file, but neither debian/examples nor
> > debian/scrotwm.examples did the trick. Can you confirm this?
>
> A debian/examples file that has the following three lines works for me.

Ok, I made it work. I was just calling `bzr builddeb' before adding
debian/examples, so the file didn't appear in the build tree. Fixed.

> > I'm not sure it's worth it to patch the examples.
>
> It usually is.  examples are 'more documentation' than documentation is.  When
> I see an examples folder in /usr/share/doc/foo/examples, I tend to expect them
> to work.
>
> > I've patched the system-wide configuration file so that Scrotwm can be run
> > without any kind of configuration, but the example files are provided just
> > as guideline.
>
> Thinking a bit more, In this particular case your examples have nothing to do
> with scrotwm as such so I think it is OK to leave them unpatched.

On a modern system, you would probably want to use acpi instead of apm anyway.

> That leaves us with just one TODO, the examples file.  Please fix that and
> upload a new package to m.d.n and I'll sponsor an upload.

So we should be done now :)

Thank you for your patience.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org>