Re: Lintian clean? (was: Re: RFS: mpview)

Quoting Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>:

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM, George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:

Running just lintian on m.d.o is not enough, what is indeed needed is
lintian from *sid* to be run over the package. I'm guessing that m.d.o is
running lintian from stable which knows less than the lintian from sid for
obvious reasons. Since m.d.o has to be run on stable I assume, one idea to
deal with that is to run latest lintian in a sid chroot (which has to be
updated regularly and being a drawback) or remove the lintian checks and
assertions completely from m.d.o since the sponsors should check it anyway
with the latest lintian from sid.

Lintian from sid is perfectly installable in lenny, no need for
chroots, just some apt pinning to keep it up to date correctly.

This is of course true, unles it brings some more updates as dependencies to the latest lintian from sid which m.d.o admins want to avoid.

m.d.n (currently) only has source packages to deal with so that makes
the lintian warnings from there much less useful.

Nod. I'm in favour of removing any lintian assertions from m.d.o, since that might be misleading.