Re: RFS: ripit (updated package)

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 20:25, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 19:55:59 +0200
> Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> wrote:
>> I strongly think that even sponsoring a single package let the
>> sponsoree be really happy for the work he did and was accepted as
>> valuable.
>
> I agree too.
>
>> And also the user base would be happy to see an improved
>> package (with bugs fixed, new features and so) and also we developers
>> should be thankful for the time the guy dedicate to learn how to do
>> packaging in the Debian way and apply to the current package.
>
> Also agree.

I'm happy we share this vision :)

>> As a side note: I think Neil wrote his sponsorship notes with the only
>> goal to avoid sponsorship at all
>
> That was definitely not my intention.
>
>> (as I experienced in the past
>> directly).
>
> ? I have not changed the notes in order to prevent any sponsoring. I
> have merely updated the notes as a direct result of issues that have
> arisen when reviewing packages in order to ensure that I can provide a
> sensible review of the package prior to upload. It also reflects the
> amount of work I do elsewhere and the impact that this has on the
> amount of time that I can assign to areas with which I am not directly
> familiar.

Well, I think they are too many, too complex, and you put too much
expectation into new comers packages.

They are supposed (well, sort of ;) ) to do some mistakes, and we are
here to correct them.

What I always felt reading your guidelines is something only some
skilled DD can respect (so even some DD would fail).

> I do not remember what could have given you that impression, Sandro.

That happen on August '08, with dbishell. The feeling I got was
demotivational and angry. I did some work, in order to have a better
package in Debian, and you tried to push it back as hard as possible.
You could have been right about all the notes you made, but the taste
left in my mouth was bad. And I think Rogério feels the same.

I think that we should help new people to find something they like in
Debian, and work on it (and hopefully become valuable contributors),
instead of "attack" them or being demotivational.

Cheers,