Re: Lintian question

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 17:02 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Charlie Smotherman <cjsmo@cableone.net> writes:
>
> > The file that lintian is complaining about is
> >
> > usr/share/ampache/www/modules/getid3/module.archive.gzip.php
> >
> > As you can see the file clearly does not end with .gz but instead it
> > ends in php.  This file is not compressed with gzip but instead adds
> > gzip functionality to the app.
>
> It's a bug in Lintian (already reported, will be fixed in the next
> release).
>
> > Would an override of this Lintian warning be appropriate?
>
> We (the Lintian developers) would rather you not add overrides for
> Lintian bugs, since you'll just have to remove the override again and in
> some cases it can hide other problems that are real.  We in turn try to
> fix bugs quickly, although I've been swamped lately so the pace of
> releases has dropped.

Russ,

Thanks, and I agree about overrides, thus the reason for posting to this
list, to gain the knowledge of others who are much wiser in such matters
than I.

This is good to know as I have a new upstream release due out soon, and
I'm sure my DD sponsor will be asking me about this issue.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Cheers
Charlie Smotherman