Re: debian/copyright verbosity

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:24:51 -0400
Matthias Julius <lists@julius-net.net> wrote:

>  Files: foo.c
>  Copyright: 2006 Mr. X
>  License: GPL2+
>
>  Files: bar.c
>  Copyright: 2008 Mr. X
>  License: GPL2+
>
>  Files: baz.c
>  Copyright: 2005 Mr. Y
>  License: GPL2+

I'd say condense all those down so that you only mention the one licence
once. There's no harm in collating copyright as long as the licences
are consistent (licence and versioning). Separate GPL-2 from GPL-2+ and
GPL-3+ but if all are GPL-2+, it's fine IMHO.

> or even further to:
>
>  Files: *.c
>  Copyright: 2006, 2008 Mr. X
>  Copyright: 2005 Mr. Y
>  License: GPL2+
>
> especially for files under (L)GPL?

I'd be happy with that.

You still need the licence notice itself and I always put in the line
about finding the licence in /usr/share/common-licences/ as well as the
download location.

debian/copyright doesn't need to be verbose but it does need to be
complete and understandable by ftpmaster.

--

Neil Williams