Re: Best way to solve a file conflict between packages?

Le Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:08:41PM +0200, Davide Puricelli a écrit :

> Summarizing, new mono packages introduced a /usr/bin/csc file that
> conflicts with /usr/bin/csc I used to ship into chicken-bin, so now
> there's a conflict between these two packages.

Hello Davide,

This is covered by our Policy §10.1:

  Two different packages must not install programs with different functionality
  but with the same filenames. (The case of two programs having the same
  functionality but different implementations is handled via "alternatives" or
  the "Conflicts" mechanism. See Maintainer Scripts, Section 3.9 and Conflicting
  binary packages - Conflicts, Section 7.4 respectively.) If this case happens,
  one of the programs must be renamed. The maintainers should report this to the
  debian-devel mailing list and try to find a consensus about which program will
  have to be renamed. If a consensus cannot be reached, both programs must be
  renamed.

As proposed earlier in this thread, the package shipping a renamed binary can
provide a link using the original name in /usr/lib/"package". Then it is easy
for users to add /usr/lib/"package" at the beginning of their PATH environment
variable.

Nevertheless, this conflict is also an Upstream problem. Maybe you can ask to
the Mono Upstreams if they can change their binary name. After all, chosing a
three-letter binary name nowardays is looking for problems of this kind…

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan