Re: dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on.... (they use none of its symbols)

On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 13:08 -0430, Muammar El Khatib wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you so much to all of you for answering the mail and all of my doubts.
> I'll ignore the warnings in the meanwhile and contact Upstream and GTK+
> maintainers later.
>
> I don't think that using --as-needed flag would be a good option, IMHO. I
> believe that If I passed this flag it would not work in all architectures, so it
> will make quickplot brake on some of them. The fact that makes me strong on this
> argument, It's that linking a binary correctly is something that does not only
> depends on how the binary is being linked at compilation time, it also depends
> on how its dependencies are linked, too. Another reason would be one that I read
> in one of the links that Paul sent:
>
> 1) "It's known not to work on FreeBSD and probably does not work on other
> non-Linux targets."
>
> 2) http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=502083
>
> 3) http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=320697
But Debian is not BSD, it's a GNU/Linux distribution is it not? Also,
I'm not too sure about the whole breaking-on-other-archs issue. I've got
some packages with the ltmain.sh as needed patch, and -Wl,--as-needed in
LDFLAGS, and they built on all the target architectures[1].

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/geanyvc/0.4-0ubuntu1
--
Chow Loong Jin