Re: dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on.... (they use none of its symbols)

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Muammar El Khatib
<muammarelkhatib@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could somebody help me with this? I'll appreciate any argument and
> thoughts from all of you.

This is usually due to GTK+ and friends using Requires instead of
Requires.private in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/*.pc:

http://bugs.debian.org/456335

This causes applications using GTK+ to link to more libraries than is nessecary.

I don't think this problem will be solved any time soon, I suggest ignoring it.

A workaround is to add -Wl,--as-needed to LDFLAGS, Gentoo has a
document about that here:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml

Please note that using --as-needed can cause other (worse) problems.

If you want to push for this to be fixed the right way, talk to the
GTK+ maintainers in Debian and upstream.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gtk+2.0.html

--
bye,
pabs