Re: RFS: ceph

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> Sage Weil <sage@newdream.net> writes:
>
> > Three binary packages are built:
> > 	ceph  - server daemons, utilities
> > 	ceph-fuse - FUSE-based client
> > 	ceph-kclient-source - source for kernel client module
>
> The package description should conform to the guildelines in the
> ÿÿbest packaging practicesÿÿ in the Developer's Reference
> <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-synopsis>,
> <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-desc>.
>
> In particular, it should tell the administrator, who should be assumed
> to know *nothing* about the package, a brief answer to the question
> ÿÿwhat is this and why should I install it?ÿÿ I don't think the above
> synopses meet that.

They sure don't.  Here are the short and long descriptions from
debian/control:

> Please post here the full descriptions (including the one-line
> synopsis and the long description) for each of those packages.

Package: ceph
 Ceph is a distributed network file system designed to provide
 excellent performance, reliability, and scalability.
 .
 This package contains all server daemons and tools for creating,
 running, and administering a Ceph file system.

Package: ceph-fuse
 Ceph is a distributed network file system designed to provide
 excellent performance, reliability, and scalability.  This is a
 FUSE-based client that allows you to mount a Ceph file system without
 root privileges.
 .
 Because the FUSE-based client has certain inherent performance
 limitations, it is recommended that the native Linux kernel client
 be used if possible (see ceph-kclient-source).  If it is not
 practical to load a kernel module (insufficient privileges, older
 kernel, etc.), then the FUSE client will do.

Package: ceph-kclient-source
 Ceph is a distributed network file system designed to provide
 excellent performance, reliability, and scalability.  This is the
 Ceph client source package for building the client kernel module.
 .
 This native kernel client is faster and is more robust than the
 FUSE-based client (ceph-fuse).  However, you need to compile the
 module against your running kernel and will need root privileges
 to load it.

Thanks-
sage