Re: sudo pbuilder build - error

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:18:45PM +0100, Jaromír Mikeš wrote:
> > At a guess, the upstream build process isn't taking any notice of your
> > DESTDIR. But if you can put the source somewhere visible, it will be much
> > easier
> > to advise.
>
> In attachment is my debianized source ...

Yes, as I thought you need to tell upstream's makefile about your
DESTDIR variable, like the attached. (p.s. it's not a good idea to
attach big files to a list, because it's distributed to many hundreds of
people - multiplied by the attachment size, which makes for lots of
traffic. A small file is ok, but anything bigger will make the
listmasters grumpy.)

You can make the change directly in the source, so it goes into the
diff, or use a patch system like dpatch [1] or quilt [2]. See the New
Maintainers guide [3] for another example.

There are some other things you need to fix as well, so you might as
well instead of asking for sponsorship and having to go back to them
anyway:

debian/changelog:
You must file an ITP bug [4] and when you get its number, close it in
the changelog like this:
 * Initial release (Closes: #123456)
Don't include lines that aren't facts, like "my first debian package".
The changelog is a record of what you changed in a package for future
reference.
Be careful of your whitespace as well, check the policy manual for the
exact specification of the changelog.

debian/control:
You should include a Homepage field if you're claiming policy 3.8.1 [5].
Both the short and long descriptions are far too long, consider the
following for the short (which should also be in 'is-a' format):
Most of the information in the long description is too specific and
belongs in upstream's README file. Just give a broad overview of the
package: the first sentence of the first and second paragraphs are the
best bits to include. (I don't know what a DAW is, for example, or why I
should want it.)
Your build-depends should have upstream version numbers, not revisions,
like this:
    libclxclient-dev (>= 3.3.2)  instead of libclxclient-dev (>= 3.3.2-1)
Are all those build-depends really neccessary? INSTALL only mentions
libclthreads and libclxclient.

debian/copyright:
Only the email addresses need to be in angle brackets.
Don't include the whole GPL text, just the grant text found at the
bottom ('This package is free software; you can re.....)
Refer to a versioned GPL file, such as /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2

You don't need a debian/dirs file, the neccessary directories are
created by upstream's makefile.

You don't need debian/README.Debian, all this information is in
upstream's README and doesn't need to be duplicated.

There is no manual page included upstream; you should ask them to write
one for each binary created or write your own and get it integrated upsream.

debian/rules:
Consider using debhelper 7 and it can make your rules file much more
manageable by automating lots of the steps and targets (this isn't a
complex package).
Either way, remove all the cruft and boilerplate comments if you're not
using them, they just make the file harder to read.

At the moment, I can't build your package from source because there are
some crucial packages that are broken in unstable. If you prod me in a
couple of days, I will try again then. Once you make the package build
successfully, use the lintian [6] tool from unstable against it and correct
anything it shows up.

If you need more help with any of these please ask (I am not a developer
though, and can't sponsor you).

[1] http://packages.debian.org/dpatch
[2] http://packages.debian.org/quilt
[3] http://http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
[4] http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
[5] http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#policy
[6] http://packages.debian.org/lintian

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

PGP/GPG: 0xDB800B52 / 4216 F01F DCA9 21AC F3D3  A903 CA6B EA3E DB80 0B52
#  Copyright (C) 2008 Fons Adriaensen <fons@kokkinizita.net>
#
#  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
#  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.

#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
#  Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

PREFIX = /usr/local
SUFFIX := $(shell uname -m | sed -e 's/^unknown/$//' -e 's/^i.86/$//' -e 's/^x86_64/$/64/')
LIBDIR = lib$(SUFFIX)
SHARED = $(PREFIX)/share
PROGRAM = jkmeter
VERSION = 0.4.0
DISTDIR = jkmeter-$(VERSION)
CPPFLAGS += -O3 -Wall -MMD -MP -DPROGRAM=\"$(PROGRAM)\" -DVERSION=\"$(VERSION)\" -DSHARED=\"$(SHARED)\"
#CPPFLAGS += -march=pentium4

all:	jkmeter

JKMETER_O = jkmeter.o styles.o mainwin.o jclient.o mkimage.o kmeter.o cmeter.o \
            kmeterdsp.o stcorrdsp.o

jkmeter:	CPPFLAGS += -ffast-math -I/usr/include/freetype2
jkmeter:	LDLIBS += -lclxclient -lclthreads -ljack -lpng -lXft -lX11 -lrt
jkmeter:	LDFLAGS += -L/usr/X11R6/lib
jkmeter:	$(JKMETER_O)
	g++ $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $(JKMETER_O) $(LDLIBS)

$(JKMETER_O):
-include $(JKMETER_O:%.o=%.d)

install:	all
	/usr/bin/install -d $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/bin
	/usr/bin/install -m 755 jkmeter $(DESTDIR)/$(PREFIX)/bin
	/usr/bin/install -d $(DESTDIR)/$(SHARED)/jkmeter
	/usr/bin/install -m 644 ../share/* $(DESTDIR)/$(SHARED)/jkmeter

clean:
	/bin/rm -f *~ *.o *.a *.d *.so
	/bin/rm -f jkmeter

tarball:
	/bin/rm -f -r $(DISTDIR); \
	svn export jkmeter $(DISTDIR); \
	tar cvjf $(DISTDIR).tar.bz2 $(DISTDIR); \
	/bin/rm -f -r $(DISTDIR);