Re: adapting a dpatch to changed source: how?

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 16:54 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > I wonder what's the best workflow to adapt a patch to a changed
> > > source.
> > > [...]
> > > Even finding out the cause of the failure by examining the .rej file
> > > has
> > > been no success.
>
> You have to know what the change was trying to achieve in order to
> mould the patch into the new code.
>
> > 2- the lines to patch have been modified: you need to decide wether
> > you still need the patch (in an adapted form). Check whether the bug
> > that is being fixed by the patch still exists.
>
> You can also try 'wiggle' but do it in a temporary directory so that
> you don't end up with a mess you cannot fix.
>
> wiggle is quite clever (much cleverer than patch itself) and has ways
> of resolving many patch conflicts.

Thanks to wiggle and some manual edit, I am able to construct how the
patched source should look like (actually the patch is only for one
source file).

Now, how do I 'inject' back these changes into the patch?

dpatch-edit-patch does not allow editing a corrupt patch. Unfortunately,
dpatch-edit-patch is the only way I know how to create a dpatch patch
(besides writing it by hand).

Best regards,

Andreas