Re: Autoupdate of java application downloads external libraries

George Danchev wrote:
A more important question would be: `is this ok with you as a Debian package maintainer and your debian users to have such a package in Debian'.

How are you supposed to track the versions of the stuff installed and being unpredictably upgraded in the users' $HOME? How are the users supposed to report versions of that local stuff in case of problems? How is the release and security team supposed to deal with these?

Are you willing to support all available combinations of $system and $home stuff and deal with unreproducible and hard to detect bug, which is unevitable to hit Debian's BTS
Well this is a very good point. I had some of these concerns by myself,
thats why I asked. And there is one point that I absolutely missed...the
plugins are not versioned, which makes the situation even more bad.

If I think more about it, you're absolutely right, such a package should
never be in debian as it would be a mess of maintenance work.

What I will do now is simply give up packaging it, unless I get a super
brilliant idea in the night how to solve that ;)