Re: Autoupdate of java application downloads external libraries

Hi Alex,

I'm not a DD, but here my opinion:
- using local libraries is an issue for licensing and security reasons
(they don't get fixed with security updates).
- this said, the same could be said of the Firefox plugins, but they're
only installed for the user running Firefox.

Hence I would suggest the following:
- make sure JDownloader compiles and runs (initially) with the system
libraries, else you will have a hard time getting JDownloader into Debian.
- make sure the user is aware of what he's doing when accepting updates
(and can control them).
- all updates need to be done at the user level, even core (alternatively
switch off core updates). I can't imagine that an auto-update at the
system level would be acceptable...
- regular packages from your side bring in up-to-date core and plugins. It
would be very good if these updates would overwrite/overrule out-dated
local updates.
Rather messy, but perhaps doable.

An alternative (better) approach would be to use
http://www.debian.org/volatile/, the people on there might have better
ideas on how to address your issue.

Hope this helps,
Eric

--
Eric de France, d'Allemagne et de Navarre