What to do if the original tarball contains a debian subdirectory

Hi DD,

I found a very nice little program to take pictures from a webcam, and
I would like to package it.
The original tarball already contains a debian subdirectory (which
needs some corrections anyway), how should I deal with that?
If I dh_make straight after unpacking the tarball, dh_make won't
modify the debian subdirectory; but I wonder if removing it beforehand
will tamper the orig.tar.gz
The program is fswebcam, I already uploaded it on mentors.debian.net
(just modifing the files in debian/if you want to take a look at it.
The upstream site is http://www.firestorm.cx/fswebcam/
Cheers,
Luca