Re: RFS: Sabacc

On Jan 14, 9:10 am, Jonathan Wiltshire <deb...@jwiltshire.org.uk>
wrote:
> Your version number will cause you problems later on - presumably at
> some point 1.0-beta1-1 will become 1.0-1, but as far as dpkg is
> concerned this is lower and it will whinge. As you are also upstream
> this is less of a problem, because you can change the upstream number
> yourself, to 1.0~beta1 (so then your Debian version becomes
> 1.0~beta1-1).
>
> Lintian is quite vocal too:
>
> I: sabacc source: debian-watch-file-is-missing
> W: sabacc source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.7.3 (current is 3.8.0)
> E: sabacc source: missing-python-build-dependency
> I: sabacc source: build-depends-without-arch-dep python-lxml
> W: sabacc: extra-license-file usr/share/doc/sabacc/COPYING.gz
> W: sabacc: package-contains-upstream-install-documentation usr/share/doc/sabacc/INSTALL
> E: sabacc: package-section-games-but-contains-no-game
> I: sabacc: desktop-entry-contains-encoding-key
> /usr/share/applications/sabacc.desktop:2 Encoding
> W: sabacc: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
> W: sabacc: wrong-bug-number-in-closes l3:#nnnn

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply. Since posting my original RFS I fixed a lot of
the problems listed by Lintian. However, my Lintian did not list quite
as many problems as yours did (namely, 'build-depends-without-arch-dep
python-lxml' and 'desktop-entry-contains-encoding-key'). As I am an
Ubuntu user, do you think this means that Lintian does not give as
many errors for me as it does for you?

And as for the version number issue, will I need to change the version
number in the original source, or is it enough just to change it in
the debian/changelog file and rename the orig.tar.gz file? And also,
if I do change it, will I need to persuade the mentors.debian.net
system that the newer version is actually newer, or will it somehow
know?

Thanks for the help,
-Joel