Re: dpatch and .diff.gz files

Antonio Radici <antonio@dyne.org> writes:

> When I try to upload the package to mentors.debian.net, lintian says
> that the package uses a patch-system but the diff.gz cotnains
> changes made on files without being separated out in a patch.

Right. Lintian is pointing out that, since you're using a patch
system, you should use that patch system for *all* changes you want to
make.

Examine the ‘foo.diff.gz’ you're trying to upload to see what changes
you've made outside the ‘debian/’ directory. Make those changes via
‘dpatch’, instead.

> This is the package:
> http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=pam-dotfile

Notice that the most recent version of the ‘foo.diff.gz’ there,
<URL:http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/pam-dotfile/pam-dotfile_0.7-5.diff.gz>,
makes no changes outside the ‘debian/’ directory.

> What do I need to move to dpatch? Am I missing something?

Either don't use dpatch at all, or use dpatch for *every* change you
want to make to the upstream files.

--
 \     “I was in the first submarine. Instead of a periscope, they had |
  `\               a kaleidoscope. ‘We're surrounded.’” —Steven Wright |