Re: RFS: whohas (new upstream)

On Thu, January 8, 2009 11:19, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> Devref mentions NEWS.Debian as a changelog supplement: "This is the
> preferred means to let the user know [...] changes in a package" [1]. I
> didn't use README.Debian as the same paragraph seems to discourage this,
> but if you think it would be better I will change it.
>
> Clarification of these files would be appreciated :-)

An important distinction of NEWS.Debian is that it is shown to users on
package upgrade. I think we should use this sparingly as to not devaluate
the use of this functionality. Nearly every Debian package has patches
relative to upstream, it is good that they are documented for those
actively looking for it. README.Debian is in that sense also acceptable.

On Thu, January 8, 2009 11:21, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
> > Feel free to update/change it.

> Good idea, thanks. Should it mention that whohas is still <1.0 and being
> heavily developed though? Or is the BTS mention enough?

I think that's not quite important - developers are not afraid of such
software and keeping the text short means more people read it :-)

Thijs