Re: RFS: whohas (new upstream)

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 03:26:45PM +0900, Paul Wise wrote:
> > I've also included a NEWS file detailing the patches
> > that are still active.
>
> I don't think that is an appropriate use of NEWS.Debian, documenting
> them in the patch headers should be enough. You might want to check
> policy/devref about this though.

I searched through policy and couldn't find mention of how to handle
this situation, where the user should care about Debian-specific patches
because they change the application's behaviour. Pretty trivially in
this case, but I still think it's important to be able to find this
information without needing to get the package source and understand
how it goes together.

Devref mentions NEWS.Debian as a changelog supplement: "This is the
preferred means to let the user know [...] changes in a package" [1]. I
didn't use README.Debian as the same paragraph seems to discourage this,
but if you think it would be better I will change it.

Clarification of these files would be appreciated :-)

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-news-debian

> Some other things:
>
> You install intro.html but not the css/images in html_assets/.

Yes, you caught me. Fixed.

> Might want to ask upstream to fix install.sh a bit so you can use it:

I had thought about this after uploading, I think I will suggest a
makefile with an install target which will be good practice for me too.

> You don't specify which version of the GPL the packaging is under.

Fixed (has some guidance on this changed since last time? if so I missed
it, sorry).

> Listing all the distros supported may not be a good idea because this
> will change over time and thus add work for those translating Debian
> package descriptions.

With my user's hat on again, I'd really like to know what it supports
while looking at the package prospectively, but I agree I don't know how
often the list might change.

Can you suggest a better place (I thought maybe README|NEWS.Debian), or would
it be sufficient to just make it clear that this list might be slightly
out of date?

> Please add some debtags:
> Please also add a screenshot of 0.22-1 (make sure to put in the right version)

Will do.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

PGP/GPG: 0xDB800B52 / 4216 F01F DCA9 21AC F3D3  A903 CA6B EA3E DB80 0B52
Sending of encrypted mail is encouraged