Re: Replacing kernel modules

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:42:06 +0000, Guy Coates wrote:

> The current way I am handling the install is to rename the existing
> kernel modules in the package preinst and postrm scripts before running
> depmod.

Yikes!

> This has the potential to break horribly if the user updates the current
> kernel with a point release, as the older kernel modules will be put
> back in place.
>
> Is there a better way to handle this?

Absolutely. :)

I believe you can install your modules under /lib/modules/<kernel-
version>/updates and depmod will prefer them to the kernel's own modules.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=30;bug=276660

--
Sam Morris
https://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078