Replacing kernel modules

Hi all,

I am in the process of packaging up some new infiniband kernel modules
for debian.  I have a source package that can be run though
module-assistant to build kernel modules.

However, some of these kernel modules replace modules that already ship
in the debian kernel.

Although the new modules end up being installed into a different
directory hierarchy under /usr/lib/<kernel-version>, and do not
overwrite the older kernel modules, the modules need to be removed or
renamed so that when "modprobe" is invoked, the newer modules are picked
up and installed.

The current way I am handling the install is to rename the existing
kernel modules in the package preinst and postrm scripts before running
depmod.

This has the potential to break horribly if the user updates the current
kernel with a point release, as the older kernel modules will be put
back in place.

Is there a better way to handle this?

Cheers,

Guy

--
Dr Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH, UK