Re: RFS: qmpdclient

Hi Harald!

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "qmpdclient".
>   Version         : 1.0.9.git.20081230-1

Is 1.0.9 already released by upstream? (Seems like not)

If not, please note: 1.0.9.git.20081230 is greater than 1.0.9  (check
the --compare-versions option in dpkg). So, if upstream releases a
stable 1.0.9, you will have a problem with the version number... you
should use 1.0.9~git* (with tilde) instead of 1.0.9.git*

If 1.0.9 is already released, is more common to use: 1.0.9+git* (with
plus)...

Also, some people uses the VCS revision instead of the date, because
upstream can do many commits in the same day, so a date is not always a
good reference... It depends on how active is your upstream, I
suppose... but please consider it too.

> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/q/qmpdclient/qmpdclient_1.0.9.git.20081230-1.dsc

* I'm not a DD so I can't sponsor uploads, but I tried your package, and
it FTBFS in my pbuilder :(

# Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
/usr/bin/make clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/qmpdclient-1.0.9.git.20081230'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/buildd/qmpdclient-1.0.9.git.20081230'
make: *** [clean] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit
status 2
pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package
 -> Aborting with an error

It fails for the first clean, because there is not a Makefile yet.
It builds if you try to compile twice in a row.

To fix it, I just changed:
	$(MAKE) clean
into:
	[ ! -f Makefile ] || $(MAKE) distclean

and the package builds fine now in my pbuilder and it passes the
piuparts tests too :)

* Check src/libmpdclient.*, you are missing an entry for them in your
debian/copyright.

* Check the package using the -iI options of lintian and, as you are
packaging a snapshot, "please consider adding a debian/watch file
containing only comments documenting the situation."

* Uhm, I noted your ITP is for qmpdclient-ne, but you are packaging it
as qmpdclient... Is this OK mentors?

> Kind regards

Happy new year!
 Ruben