Re: RFS: libabstract-ruby

Hi

First I'm not a DD! I looked only at your package, and hope I can give
you some feedback.

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:04:27PM -0800, Bryan McLellan wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "libabstract-ruby".
>
> * Package name    : libabstract-ruby
>   Version         : 1.0.0-1
>   Upstream Author : Makoto Kuwata <kwa@kuwata-lab.com>
> * URL             : http://rubyforge.org/projects/abstract
> * License         : Ruby's License
>   Section         : libs
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> libabstract-ruby - A library which enables you to define abstract
> method in Ruby.
> libabstract-ruby-doc - Documentation for libabstract-ruby
> libabstract-ruby1.8 - A library which enables you to define abstract
> method in Ruby.
> libabstract-ruby1.9 - A library which enables you to define abstract
> method in Ruby.

> The upload would fix these bugs: 509284

> main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libabstract-ruby/libabstract-ruby_1.0.0-1.dsc

I noticed that you still use Standards-Version 3.6.2. If I'm right,
the current policy version is 3.8.0.1.

Here is the further lintian output on the package, done with
	lintian -I libabstract*ch*
(note: you can check it with lintian -iI libabstract*ch* to have more
informative output):

I: libabstract-ruby source: debian-watch-file-is-missing

This is only "informational", it's not required. But since the
download URL seems to be

	http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/9171/abstract_1.0.0.tar.bz2

it should be not to bad to add a debian/watch file if possible.

W: libabstract-ruby source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends libabstract-ruby

The help text of lintian says here:
N:    The source package uses debhelper but it does not use ${misc:Depends} in
N:    the given binary package's debian/control entry. This is required so the
N:    dependencies are set correctly in case the result of a call to any of
N:    the dh_ commands cause the package to depend on another package.
N:
N:    Refer to the debhelper(7) manual page for details.
N:
N:    Severity: normal; Certainty: certain

But I'm not sure here, hope you get a feedback from a Sponsor!

W: libabstract-ruby source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends libabstract-ruby-doc

Seems to be the same as above.

W: libabstract-ruby source: ancient-standards-version 3.6.2 (current is 3.8.0)

I think you should use the most recent policy version for
Standards-Version, 3.6.2 is really old. But if the package is still
3.8.0 compliant, there is only need to change the version.

I: libabstract-ruby source: build-depends-without-arch-dep ruby-pkg-tools
I: libabstract-ruby source: build-depends-without-arch-dep graphviz

These two are not warnings, but only informational tags. But see the
help text about it, then you can decide if you should these into
Build-Depends-Indep.

W: libabstract-ruby1.8: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
W: libabstract-ruby1.9: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
W: libabstract-ruby: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly

You can leave the "." (dot) at the end of the phrase.

Kind regards
Salvatore
--
  .-.