Re: Someone to 'proofread' a .deb please

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:04:37 +0000 (UTC)
Andy Hawkins <andy@gently.org.uk> wrote:

> > Please, make sure to seperate the debian packaging files from your
> > released software. There can be several debian package for a single
> > upstream release, so debian-related things should always be out of
> > the software's code.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why the debian directory shouldn't be part
> of my 'main' release? What problems does this cause?

Upstream is not Debian - the two should not mix, even if your are the
Debian maintainer. The debian/ directory will have to be changed
between upstream releases and must not be overwritten with the next
upstream update.

It is simply unacceptable to have the debian/ directory in the upstream
source.

Keep it in your upstream VCS if you want, but leave it out of the
tarball.

--

Neil Williams