Re: Processing (#433270), no upstream tarball, other questions

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:

> One, there is no upstream tarball. There is a tagged svn release, but
> it includes a lot of superfluous software, such as Sun's non-free JRE
> (OpenJDK seems to work fine now), and build environments for Windows
> and MacOS X. Also, it has the wrong permissions on many files, e.g.
> executable permissions on README and so on. Although I can easily
> bundle all of this into a proper tarball, how should I reflect this
> rebundling in my packaging? Build it into debian/rules?

Ask upstream for a proper source code tarball (nothing pre-compiled,
no external libs etc).

Until they give you one, write a get-orig-source target - see the devref:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-origtargz

> Two, the upstream source uses a very strange build system. Basically,
> they wrote their own Perl and shell scripts that do the building. I am
> naïvely thinking that I might be able to patch it to use CMake, or
> maybe Apache Ant since it's a Java project. But supposing that turns
> out to be a difficult project, should the upstream build system bother
> me too much? It appears to put all of the build files into one
> directory, so at least it seems to clean the build: just delete the
> build directory.

Personally I would ask upstream if they would like to switch to a new
build system, try to write it for them if they do and if they don't
want to, then write patches for the perl/shell stuff if it is
inadequate for your needs.

> Three, and here my Java ignorance begins to show, I see that the
> upstream source also includes some .jar for which I am not sure I can
> find the corresponding source. How can I gather more information about
> .jars and see if I'm just mistaken as to where the source might be? I
> know it's just a zip file, but I thought there are tools to manipulate
> and gather information from .jar files?

Might want to ask on the debian-java list, although using unzip should
do it fine.

BTW, code duplication isn't liked in Debian, so it is probably best to
package whatever it is you found separately and then make processing
depend on that.

BTW, you might want to update the processing ITP:

http://bugs.debian.org/433270

Looks like someone else took it over when you weren't looking.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise