Re: building package with different libs

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 04:30:25PM +0100, Adeodato Sim?? wrote:
> * Thorsten Alteholz [Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:06:09 +0200]:
>
> > Hi,
>
> Hello,
>
> > I need some advice on building packages with different libs.
> > Assuming that I have software S which needs to be linked against library L.
> > For whatever reason there are several implementations (L1, L2, L3) of
> > this library available. Each of them has its advantages and it would be
> > fine
> > to build three packages SL1, SL2 and SL3.
> > Unfortunately L1, L2 and L3 conflict each other. So what would be the
> > best way to build all three packages from one source package? Is this
> > possible at all?
>
> > To make this a bit more realistic: It is about package meep-mpi.
> > Currently it uses libhdf5-serial and there is a requet to build it with
> > libhdf5-mpich and libhdf5-openmpi. So my Build-Depends: in the source section
> > needs to contain either libhdf5-serial-dev, libhdf5-mpich-dev or
> > libhdf5-openmpi-dev. Is it still possible to build package meep-mpi-hdf5serial,
> > meep-mpi-hdf5mpich and meep-mpi-hdf5openmpi at the same time?
>
> If the different implementations conflict among them, I don't think you
> can build all three SL{1,2,3} binary packages from the same source
> package.

Well, actually, you can - just look at the various apache2 packages.
However, the build mechanism has to be a bit complicated...

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@cnsys.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
When you are not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish.