Re: Getting Started

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 18:12 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@volumehost.net> writes:
> > I ran "aptitude search '~i!~M' | head" to find a package to start
> > working on, and the first one that came up was acpi-support, so I
> > looked it up on PTS and got started.
>
> Thank you *much* more for looking at existing packages that need help,
> rather than performing a drive-by addition of a new package which is
> regrettably common.

Seconded. It is rare indeed and much to be encouraged.

Note to any other maintainers looking for sponsorship - fixing one of
the 20,000 packages we already have will gain you great merit in the
eyes of potential sponsors. Adding yet-another-vanity-package for the
sake of adding a package will discourage sponsors.

> > Maybe this isn't the right way to start, but I'm more interested in
> > bug squashing and maintenance for packages I use than anything else.
>
> You are a rare gem, then, and I hope to see much more of this :-)

Another way to search for packages to improve is to use the scripts
already in the devscripts package - wnpp-alert and rc-alert.

http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=rc-alert

http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=wnpp-alert

--

Neil Williams