Re: Getting Started

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 3:10 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:

> So, I decided to stop talking about contributing to Debian and start
> *actually* contributing to Debian.

Excellent!

> acpi-support, so I looked it up on PTS and got started.  Maybe this isn't
> the right way to start, but I'm more interested in bug squashing and
> maintenance for packages I use than anything else.

Some other ways to find packages you care about that need work:

RC bugs not yet fixed in testing: rc-alert -d T --exclude-dists UE
orphaned packages or help needed: wnpp-alert
manual pages that need writing: manpage-alert

> If I were to make a similar NMU, would it be best to do a single one that
> fixes both bugs, as well as other issue(s)?

Usually, yes. Please also read the developers-reference for NMU guidelines.

> antlr and mtr, e.g.).  I think I can fix the issue with the lintian check,
> but don't have a patch yet.  That means time to file a bug, right?  In the
> meantime, should I simply ignore those lintian tags, or go ahead and
> update acpi-support with overrides or fixes?  (I've already got patches
> for both those approaches.)

Yes, please file a bug on lintian and mention you are working on a patch.
In the meantime just ignore those lintian warnings since they are bogus.

> Once I get something together that needs sponsoring, is mentors.debian.net
> preferred hosting or would my own VPS be fine?

Either is fine, but once mentors.d.n switches to the new debexpo
interface, I'll personally be ignoring packages uploaded anywhere
else.

--
bye,
pabs