Re: Hello and Questions

"Theodore Reed" <treed@surreality.us> writes:

> I hope this is the right venue for my questions.

Your questions seem not so much related to Debian packaging, but good
enough.

> 1- My maintainer address on that package is treed@surreality.us.
> However, this is no longer my primary e-mail address, and just
> forwards to my GMail address. GMail isn't particularly good with
> GnuPG, though. (Yes, I know about FireGPG, but I don't use Firefox as
> my primary browser.) Should I just try to use mutt with GMail? (Which
> I don't prefer.)

IIUC, you can use any IMAP client to access your Google Mail mailboxes
<URL:http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77695>. So
you should choose a good MUA that has IMAP and OpenPGP support.

> 2- The GPG key I used to use is on an old machine that died. I think
> I might still be able to recover the files, but I didn't have any
> signatures on it anyway.

You did, of course, keep the revocation certificate that you created
at the same time as the key pair, against just such an eventuality?
<URL:http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/c14.html#REVOCATION>

> Would it be better to just make a new one?

If you no longer have exclusive control over your private key, then
yes, you should publish the revocation certificate for that key and
generate a new key pair for use.

Having made a new key pair you'll need to go through the whole process
of establishing signatures etc. again, since the one you revoke will,
by design, have no connection to the new key.

Glad to see you're getting back into Debian, and welcome back!

--
 \     “I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in |
  `\   my body. Then I realized who was telling me this.” —Emo Philips |