Re: Library Packaging

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 16:16 -0400, Jonathan Steel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to create a package of a shared library and I can't figure
> out how to do it. I can do it for a normal binary using dh_make and
> debuild. Ive read through all the debian packaging guides I can find.

Shared libraries are difficult packages to maintain - do you understand
the issues around SONAMEs, transitions, -dbg packages and how to work
with upstream on symbol versioning etc.?

Generally, I don't recommend that anyone on this list seriously
considers packaging shared libraries until they have a couple of
ordinary binary packages in the archive.

> But there is a lack of info on how to do it for shared libraries. I end
> up with a .deb that doesn't install anything except for the changelog.
>
> Where can I look for help?

/me thinks I'm going to have to write a little guide on this but lack
the time right now.

First point of call is debian/dirs - make sure it's not referencing
things like usr/sbin usr/bin - you probably don't need that file at all.

Now create the libfoo0.install, libfoo-dev.install (or
libfoo0-dev.install depending on how you want to manage and maintain the
transitions) files to contain the relevant objects.

Take a look at the .install files for a few shared libraries -
naturally, I'd recommend QOF (libqof1 in Debian until Lenny is released
when libqof2 will arrive). Ignore the stuff in debian/rules, concentrate
on the .install files and control file.

--

Neil Williams